A major European retailer wanted to analyze their existing customer service approach in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness. As a result, they adapted their customer service operating model and embarked on a business process outsourcing (BPO) project.
Challenge: improve an in-house customer service operation
The retailer was increasingly confronted with operational inefficiencies, a lack of transparency and data across its operating countries, and high levels of demotivation and attrition. All of this resulted in a low overall performance across key contact center metrics and an urgent business need to structurally assess and – as a consequence – fundamentally re-organize their contact center operations.
Initially, the plan was to gradually professionalize the in-house organization and processes, with the aim of reaching acceptable levels of operational performance.
In addition, the company’s plans for ambitious growth, combined with a strategic mind-shift towards customer centricity, served as clear guidelines for a new operating model.
Solution: end-to-end improvement of customer service through BPO
We supported the client across six closely interrelated workstreams:
- In-depth analysis of current customer service operations (Switzerland and Germany)
- A comprehensive overview of sustainable target scenarios to enable a re-worked operating model (‘make or buy’)
- Detailed business case calculations to support the analysis of the respective scenarios
- Setup, and full process ownership of the RFI/RFP process for external BPO services
- Advisory on a reimagined internal organizational structure, including role descriptions
- Project management of the implementation
Results: boost in performance & quality, plus cost reduction
- Empowerment of (top) management and tailored coaching of the operational workforce
- A seamless operational transition
- Significant cost savings based on scale and synergy effects in the course of an incremental volume shift towards the new BPO vendor
- A boost in performance and quality due to the professionalization of customer service operations
- Process harmonization across countries, allowing for European standardization/streamlining